Rapid RFID-identification of vehicles at the weighting station
At present, weighting complexes are widely used. There are many industries where they have become an indispensable attribute:
elevators, vegetable storage bases, granaries;
producers of building materials;
agro-industrial enterprises, farms;
enterprises for the transport and disposal of domestic waste.
For truck weighting, you can use any weight complex, the reliability of the results depends on the manufacturer and on the scale model. The weighing results are stored in the system, but there is a reliability problem when accounting for vehicles and goods. The problem occurs for subjective reasons, since the data is most often entered manually by the operator. The influence of the ordinary human factor reduces the speed of work and distorts information, not only errors, but also forgeries are possible.
In addition, at the entrance of vehicles for weighing, there are often difficulties in moving. They lead to slow registration of arriving trucks and corruption component of employees. As a result, vehicles are idle, the efficiency of work processes is reduced, management receives erroneous information, and the business incurs significant losses.
To improve the efficiency of vehicle weighting, the use of radio frequency identification (RFID) technology is optimal. This is the technology of the Internet of things, really worked out and applicable in practical production activities and logistics. RFID allows you to accurately identify the truck, passing the weighing, while the human factor is completely excluded. The use of radio frequency identification helps to increase the efficiency of accounting for vehicles and goods and to carry out automatic control of executive devices (traffic lights, barriers, gates).
Relying on the data of weight complexes, enterprises keep statistics. According to the accumulated information, the performance indicators of the entire transport, individual cars and drivers are calculated. In particular, the number of flights and goods carried is accurately recorded. The use of RFID technologies improves the quality of vehicle management, provides management with up-to-date information on work processes, which allows making timely and correct decisions.
Features and Benefits of RFID Technologies
At the core of the RFID system is the UHF RFID-tag - a miniature device that stores a unique number. As a rule, the labels are presented in the form of a sticker on the windshield of the car, in the form of a card that is issued to the driver or in the form of a bodyplate mounted on the body or trailer of the vehicle. The RFID tag has the necessary protection against interception of the individual code and, if necessary, can be password protected.
The sticker on the windshield is disposable, when removed the label collapses and stops working (which excludes the possibility of transferring to another person). The body tag is fixed to the body in various ways (welding, glue, etc.), which does not allow replacing it.
If fixing the mark on the body is undesirable, for example, for temporarily leased or personal transport, then a plastic card of the frequency range UHF is used. It is similar to banking in size and issued to the driver.
The RFID tag, entering within the range of the RFID reader, responds with its unique number or additional data encoded in its memory. The identification process is automatic. Depending on the needs, the equipment allows you to identify the vehicle at the entrance to the weighing complex or at a specific location. The range is programmable and can range from 0.5 m to 12 m.
ISBC solution for RFID-identification on a weighting station
ISBC RFID-identification system on the weighting station:
weight complex: platform, strain gauges;
RFID-complex: readers and antennas, tags on transport; SDK developer kit for integrating RFID into enterprise business applications,for example, 1C;
computer and accounting information system;
optional - barriers and barriers.
The proposed system can be used for vehicles of any type and any size, from small cars to trucks.
In the ISBC system, a weighing complex of any manufacturer can be used. It is recommended to use an electronic system in which the results of weighing a vehicle enter the information system automatically.
Recommendations for RFID solution
1. Very often the solution requires integration with the enterprise business applications. You need to use the developer tools, called the SDK. The developer toolset must be compatible with all key operating systems and have components for integration with the most common business applications.
The optimal option for the customer is the free provision of the SDK in C ++, C #, JAVA programming languages for Windows, Linux, MAC operating systems when purchasing RFID equipment that ISBC offers. It comes with an ActiveX component for integration, for example, in 1C, as well as the necessary API libraries. With such a powerful SDK, the integration of the equipment takes a minimum of time.
2. The right choice is RFID equipment, which allows you to send the label data directly to the software and supports the RS-232 interface.This allows you to connect the device to any controller, including some types of scales with a similar interface. Modern scales are designed for integration into complexes, for this purpose, the weights manufacturers provide a kit for the developer, the so-called SDK.
3. It is recommended to use passive radio frequency tags to identify the trucks. They do not require a power source, they will not discharge and will not require replacement of the battery. An electronic chip located in the tag is charged from the field of the RFID antenna. The electronics of both tags and RFID equipment are quite sensitive, so the antenna radiation is extremely weak, comparable to the radiation of a cellular phone and absolutely safe.
4. When setting up the reader and antennas, professionals should be involved. Errors in directionality of radio waves and other incompetent actions will lead to the inoperability of the entire complex as a whole. Only professional engineering teams, like ISBC, who are versed in radio electronics and RFID technologies, will ensure the system's operability.
5. Do not forget about the reality: sudden changes in temperature, humidity and precipitation. Cheap solutions on equipment of unknown manufacturers will be ineffective at low temperatures, up to jamming of barriers in cold winter. ISBC professional engineers apply heating systems and other methods that allow RFID solutions to constantly operate in enterprises of all climatic zones.
RFID solutions for the identification of vehicles on a weighting station can be connected to the Access Control System of the enterprise. At the checkpoint at the reader and antennas are placed, which allow the RFID tag to be read from a distance of up to 8-12 m (reading range is adjusted). At the entrance through the weight it remains only to integrate the already installed equipment with the access control system (ACS) of vehicles.
The high range of reading the mark will allow to give a signal in advance to open a barrier or gate, so a car or bus can drive to the territory without stopping, which saves time. Information on the time of entry of vehicles to the territory in the future can be used . Integration with the number recognition systems allows to achieve a high degree of safety, two-factor control of passing cars by the state number and RFID-tag.
Results of RFID-identification of vehicles in enterprises
ISBC radio frequency identification systems offer many advantages:
minimization of waiting time when weighting trucks;
prevention of human factors;
error-free accounting and control;
increase the level of security in the controlled area;
increase of efficiency of motor transport
logistics at the enterprise;
increase of profitability of business.
RFID-technologies are practically applicable kind of Internet of Things solutions. These are not "smart teapots" from advertising, but exhausted and effective systems integrating vehicles and information systems of enterprises. Radio frequency identification provides a digitalization of logistics, which leads to increased competitiveness of the business and provides new prospects for development.
Andrei Krasovsky, Ph.D., Head of the ISBC Radio Frequency Identification Department.